Celebrate landscaping at the charity-fundraising 2018 Elgin Open Gardens
Dates: Saturday 27 October – Sunday 28 October AND Saturday 3 November – Sunday 4 November
Times: 10am to 5pm
Download attachments - see above and click on attachments: Map, Garden Info and Brochure
What will you see?
- The 15 gardens range from large established country gardens (some over 50 years old), to young, recently planted gardens in villages and on smallholdings, all in a setting of great natural beauty an hour’s drive from Cape Town.
- A number of gardens will have plants for sale , and some such as Keurbos, Fairholme and Fresh Woods will be offering unusual and interesting plants difficult to find elsewhere, such as Japanese maples, rhododendrons and other choice perennials, trees and shrubs.
- Many gardens are also offering teas and light meals , in addition to the many other restaurants and food gardens in the area.
- The local charity Siphila Sonke, will be serving teas and lunches at Keurbos Nursery Garden and at Carmel Farm , both on the Highlands Rd.
- On the Open Days, they will always be available in the Elgin area at Sithanda Nursery, Peregrine Farm Stall and the Orchard Farm Stall.
- See images below...
This is the 17th year of the Elgin Open Gardens charity fundraising scheme.
So far the winter rains have filled most of our smaller dams, and with our heavier, cooler, wetter soils we think we have survived the drought better than most.
We continue to be vigilant in not wasting water, and many of us have adapted our plantings for a drier future. Luckily our present and past farmers had the foresight to build dams to secure their futures, and we are grateful to them for that, and these enable us to grow a wider range of plants than most for our pleasure and your enjoyment.
- Most gardens do not allow dogs. Please ask the owner’s permission before you bring yours.
- All gardens are giving a proportion of their takings to charities of their choice.
For more information:
- Barbara Knox-Shaw: 021 844 0154 / 078 021 2101
- Jessie Walton: 083 458 3790
Pic 1: Fairholme - the formal rose garden.
Pic 2: Freshwoods - a woodland garden
Pic 3: Auldearn - Jenny Simpsons hilltop farmstead
Pic 4: Keurbos Nursery, Elgin.
Pic 5: Fairholme - the formal perennial garden.